unravelling at night what she had woven during the day, as a clever ploy to “buy time” and stave off hungry suitors - Odyssey

Top Image

Top Image

WHAT'S MY GRADE?

From: Student
Subject: COURSE ###- Case Study
Date: 14 November, 2012 11:46:21 AM EST
To: PhD TA

Hi, 

Just one quick question about the case study that was returned in yesterdays class. What would my mark be in a percentage? I received an A on the paper.

Thanks,

Student
________________________________________________________________________________________

On 2012-11-14, at 5:07 PM, TA wrote:
Hi Student,

I can't give you a precise answer, but I like to think A's are 83.5-88.5.

Does that help?
TA
__________________________________________________________________________________________

On 2012-11-14, at 5:11 PM, Student wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I guess my main question how will that A be figured into my final mark? 

Thanks,
Student
___________________________________________________________________________________________

On 2012-11-14, at 5:39 PM, TA wrote:

Student-

Well, this assignment is worth 40%. so you have a 33.5-35/ 100 at the moment. If you break it down this way, you will see that the margins aren't as big as you might think, yielding only a few grade combinations that would raise eyebrows. To put a finer point on it, a bit of discretion is required when working with the lettering system. 

I am not marking your final exam, so the final word as to how your final grade will fall will be up to PROFESSOR.

Ya?
TA
___________________________________________________________________________________________

On 2012-11-14, at 6:34 PM, Student wrote:

TA,

Are you essentially saying that no thought has really been given to what percentage that A will be? As in my paper was assigned the grade "A" but the actual percentage that I received on the paper will be determined when calculating the final mark? 

Disgruntled Student

__________________________________________________________________________________________

On 2012-11-14, at 9:07 PM, Pissed off TA wrote:

Disgruntled Student,

Please explain what you mean by "no thought".

I've CC'd the professor on this email. 

I look forward to your answer.  

Best,
Pissed off TA
___________________________________________________________________________________________

On 2012-11-14, at 9:54 PM, The PROFESSOR wrote: 

Dear Disgruntled Student,

I approach that 1.5% span in your favour if your exam indicates you're tuned in to the course. If you turn out to be one of those people I mentioned the other night who have written a good paper but figure they don't have to bother with the rest of the course and therefore evince a dearth of knowledge of  The Field, you're not going to gain that benefit.

I am, as THE CHAIR might say, "the decider" :-).

Kick butt on the exam and this reads 35. Rest on your laurel's and totally blow the exam for obvious lack of interest and it's a clear 33.5. Being familiar with you and observing your attentiveness in class suggest to me you're liable to wind up with a 35. I'm confident you won't disappoint!

The Professor
___________________________________________________________________________________________

On 2012-11-14, at 9:58 PM, Embarrassed Student wrote:

Hi POTA,

Sorry I didn't mean that in a negative way... I should have specified that before! 

And Professor. Sorry, I just realized I never CC'd you in my reply- I'll paste it below. I'm very sorry for the poor wording of that email- I should have been more careful. 

Sorry!

Student

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PhD correspondence All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger